Monday, April 24, 2017

Alright alright FLORIDA PT 2

So Florida is kind of whack. Like this is the weirdest place in the US I'm sure of it. There's these random U-turn spaces but no medians. So if you're driving down the road and you miss your turn you have to wait for a U-turn spot. They even have it on the freeways.. Kind of like the highway patrol spots in Utah. Oh and driving is super fun but there's this little box in the corner of the car that's connected to our system and we have to log in to it with a card with our name whenever we drive. So if you speed or aggressively drive TIWI comes on and says "Check your speed" or "Aggressive Driving" HAHAHAH and then it reports it all back to the mission office. Last transfer I was a green driver and Sis E got red driving hahahahahahaah. Also we're in a car share so we only have the car every other day, but our neighbor hood is pretty sketch so our elders are peaches and always bring the car and pick it up. It's actually really kind of them.

The food is normal. We do eat southern food but nothing too crazy because I'm in a beach town so mostly it's just normal. Except get this. If you open a box of crackers or cereal or something they go soft! Because of the humidity! It's so nasty, we have to keep everything in our fridge! 

The District
The building we are in has two wards, first and second. There's four missionaries in the second ward (us and the elders) and six in the first ward (two sets of spanish and the other sisters (Sis Evensen and her Trainee Sis Mifflin)). So our district is those two wards. 10 missionaries in total. In that picture the sisters on the back are -my bff for always-Evensen, Mifflin, Davis, and yours truly, the elders sitting are Greene (spanish) Moore (spanish) Sturdavant (Spanish) and Shaw (second ward) and the one laying is Barrus (Spanish) and Magnussen (second ward). Moore and Barrus are our ZL's so basically we're tight. 


The weather: hot. humid. and sticky. You just feel gross all the time, but if you make any comment on the weather everyone is just like "JUST YOU WAIT TIL SUMMER" It's super annoying. So you just don't comment on it. 

Squirrels: THERE'S DANG SQUIRRELS EVERYWHERE (Jen would not survive hahaha (;

Everything out here is flat. It's weird not having mountains. Everything in Utah is like a bowl but here it's just flat

We work with quite a few less actives Marie is 89 and she left the church like 60 years ago and SHE IS AWESOME! Super stubborn, super old. Like older than dirt. But SHE CAME TO CHURCH YESTERDAY for like the first time in 60 years! ahhhh.. And then we work with a 9 year old named Brock. His mom is Less Active and he's super awesome but we're hesitant to baptize him because his family is not a good support and we don't want to baptize him into inactivity. It's been a really hard situation. Kammer family- this awesome awesome awesome (that's three awesomes) family. Part member family, and we have taught them the restoration. The mom Letty is from Mexico and she makes the BEST food. AHHHH just talking about it is making me hungry! We are excited to see them progress but they're legit ALWAYS out of town. so... we'll see. They'll progress just kind of slow. Those are just a few of my favorites. 

We met Kenny on thursday and set a BCD with him!!!!! He's 20. And the only problem with it is that he's not quite all there socially and we're not sure how much he really understands so we're kind of waiting it out.
We meet a lot of people and we teach the first lesson a lot but no one sticks. It's hard. Nobody that I met my first two transfers are even on our boards anymore and it's kind of depressing haha. Because you grow to love these completely random strangers and then you have to love them and leave them, or they leave you. Haha. 

Members: probably the best part about everything. Our ward is amazing. I can't even explain how much I love our ward. There's so many people that I feel like I'm just best friends with. Sometimes at church, especially when we don't have investigators there, I just feel like another member of the ward! The Mathews are a couple from Utah and they have a baby boy who reminds me so much of my nephew! I love them. The Stevens feed us every sunday and they are amazing! Their daughter is serving right now in Las Vegas and Mr. Stevens is not a member. SO COOL. Sis Stevens mom made us this food called boil, which is just this big pot of random foods cooked in cajun seasons and then they pour it out on the middle of the table and you just eat with your hands! hahah. 
Man I don't even know I love so many people in my ward this could take years to write. The Brocks are my grandparents I didn't even know I had. Brother Atrice our ward mission leader is like the cool black friend I always wish I had, Emma didn't quite cut it. hahaha. 

Our accents aren't that fun where I live, but if you go like 20 mins North ITS INSANE hahahaha it's like you step onto the set of Honey Boo Boo or Duck Dynasty! ITS SO COOL. I want an accent so bad. 

The beaches here are crazy beautiful. And I got all the hookups with my ward so when I come back to my mission with my fam or husband or something let me just tell you, it's gonna be a PARTY. 

ok there ya go. just a little bit of Fort Walton Beach Florida. Y'all have a FABULOUS WEEK AND GO SHARE THE GOSPEL DANG IT


No comments:

Post a Comment